Hey it is saturday and my hubby comes home for lunch. I love having sambhar for lunch on saturdays. I like the combination of sambhar with potato fry, however I was bored with the usual simple potato stir fry. And it kept me thinking why not try a different cuisine potato fry and here I am with my 3rd post. This recipe is adapted from Tarla Dalal’s punjabi aloo methi recipe.
Potato Fenugreek fry
I am a big fan of fenugreek leaves especially the fresh ones. These leaves are also called as ‘Menthikora’ in Telugu, ‘Venthiya Keera’ in Tamil, ‘Menthya Soppu’ in Malayalam, and ‘Methi Sag’ in Bengali. The aroma, the slight bitter taste of it is just so ravishing.
The leaves are used for treating poor liver functions and dyspepsia. It has strong effect on blood lipid levels. Patients suffering from lipid fluctuations benefit hugely from this herb.
I always try to incorporate some kind of green leafy vegetables in my menu every day one way or other way. Because the greens are important to have a balanced diet .
Now enough of my babbling (forgive me I tend to get carried away) Let me start the recipe.
1 cup peeled and boiled potatoes (diced)
2 1/2 cups fresh fenugreek leaves
1 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp chopped ginger
3 whole dry red chillies dry roasted and broken into pieces
1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
1 .5 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asoefetida powder (hing)
3 tbsp oil
salt to taste
- Wash the fenugreek leaves and chop them finely. Sprinkle some salt over them and keep aside for about half an hour.
- Squeeze out all the water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the garlic, ginger, red chillies and salt.
- Add the potatoes and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the fenugreek leaves, coriander powder, turmeric powder and asafoetida. Cook covered for 10 minutes on a low flame.
- Serve hot.
Yummy yummy potato fenugreek curry is ready. I am telling you can literally smell each ingredient the ginger , zeera , coriander powder and fenugreek leaves and it is heavenly.
You can have this curry with rice sambhar or rice rasam. You can also have it with roti but it will be a dry curry .